The following have been established as passing scores for the police departments participating in the written police entrance examination. In order to have passed the written test for:
Job Objective (Purpose of the Position):
Patrols Municipalities to detect and deter crime, provide security, and enforce laws, Pennsylvania crime and vehicle codes, and
Essential Job Functions (Functions essential to attaining the job objective):
- Patrols assigned area; drives patrol vehicle or walks.
- Observes patrolled area for suspicious, disorderly, or illegal activities, stolen vehicles, missing persons, and road hazards; reports road
hazards to proper authority.
- Furnishes proper information and/or assistance to anyone requesting or requiring same.
- Communicates with dispatcher via PA radio; mediates domestic & neighborhood disputes; interviews witnesses, complainants, accused
suspects; interacts with members of the business community and the public.
- Responds to emergency dispatch calls.
- Assists emergency personnel with moving subjects; removes accident victims to safety.
- Administers first aid methods and procedures.
- Investigates traffic accidents, public complaints, crime scenes, emergency situations; records facts; locates and preserves evidence.
- Responds to physical attacks, applying force & physical restraint to dangerous animals or people; arrests and processes accused
suspects; takes photo and fingerprints.
- Operates specialized equipment to measure blood alcohol level (BAC), vehicle speed, and distance; secure evidence.
- Operates firearms as necessary. Issues warrants and citations.
- Compiles accident, arrest, criminal complaint, and preliminary investigation reports.
- Attends meetings, mandatory training, and educational seminars.
Job Standards (Minimum qualifications needed to perform essential functions):
- Read and interpret Pennsylvania vehicle codes and crime codes.
- React calmly and think rationally in emergency situations. Communicate effectively. Understand and carry out complex instructions.
- Recognize non-standard activities, missing items/people, hazards, and details.
- Possess excellent eye-hand-foot coordination and physical stamina.
- Sit; reach at all levels; handle vehicle controls, firearms, specialized equipment frequently.
- Stand, walk, run, lift and carry up to 50 lbs; push a full sized automobile; pull up to 175 lbs.; swim where required by municipality; bend,
crouch, kneel, climb, crawl, and perform fine manipulation occasionally.
- Possess visual acuity (mid and far vision, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision continuously; near vision occasionally).
- Withstand exposure to traffic hazards continuously; withstand exposure to weather, wet conditions, flooding conditions, high noise levels,
hazardous materials, and personal danger occasionally.
- Work alone and closely with others.
Job Location (Place[s] where work is performed):
Various locations within and outside the Municipality; Police Administration Building.
Equipment (Examples of machines, devices, tools, etc. used in job performance):
Patrol vehicles; handgun; shotgun, patrol rifle, soft body armor, portable radio, flashlight; handcuffs; baton; breath testing instruments;
speed timing devices; flares; telephone; computer; paperwork; Pepper gas (O.C.); Tasers